Looking for something to feed the kids? Need a great dessert to take to a gathering?
In the mood for a delicious soup, salad or whatever? Look no further.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pumpkin carrot bread/muffins

I like veggie/fruit breads. I like them a lot. I make them a lot. For some reason, my mind has justified these as being 'healthy', as opposed to cakes or cookies or other baked goods. But, that's probably not quite the case, since I end up eating a good half loaf of bread or half dozen muffins vs. a couple of cookies. Anyways, since I eat them a lot, I like to come up with new combos, or new ways of cutting out some lard, while keeping in some moisture, or adding more hidden veggies in them so that I can use the word 'healthy' with less guilt. So, here is a recipe that I came up with that is moist and 'healthy'. I guess it's very similar to the pumpkin zucchini bread I posted, but it's more on the pumpkiny side and even more moist.


Mix:
2 cups pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 c oil
1 3/4 c sugar

Add:
2 c shredded carrot

Add:
3 c flour
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

You can also add 1 cup of choc. chips for some extra yumminess. For bread (makes 2 loaves): grease loaf pans and bake at 325 for 50-65 min, or until toothpick comes out clean, cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pans. For muffins (makes about 24): grease muffin tins, fill almost to top and bake at 350 for 18-22 min, or until set, cool for a few minutes before removing. For mini muffins (makes about 48): grease tins, fill almost to top and bake at 350 for 12-16 min, or until set.

8 comments:

  1. Healthy or not (though I'm inclined to say they are) your vegetable/ fruit breads are always delish! Can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these today and they were super good. None of my kids even noticed the carrots in there. I make your banana choco chip muffins all of the time too. My mini muffin tin has never seen so much good use. Thanks for another good recipe. -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, please post as many of these sweet bread recipes as your heart desires. My kids love to have them for breakfast, and since they involve fruits/vegetables I'm gonna go with healthy...healthier than cold cereal anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very yummy and I can't believe how many fruits and veggies you fit in.

    I didn't have cloves so I used allspice, but I don't think it was necessary to add it.

    I also used white beans instead of oil. Jenny Zabel told me about trying that. It is the first time I have and I couldn't tell they were in there. And i used half whole wheat flour and it was still moist and delicious.

    Keep the great muffins coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, I am curious about the white beans. Did you puree them or just put them in whole?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just put mine in whole. Mine were home canned so they were a bit softer than what you'd get in a can from the store, but I would think that all you'd have to do is slightly mash them with a fork. I was surprised to not get little flecks of bean skin, and the texture was great. I guess you can use this substitution in mast baked good, so Jenny said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We finally made these today. SUPER YUMMY! I replaced the oil with another 1/2 cup of applesauce and they were still very moist. They were really filling too. I love that the recipe makes enough to freeze (if your dog doesn't get to them).

    ReplyDelete
  8. These were a lifesaver! We are down to our last food until payday and I had a can of pumpkin and searched for muffins to make. I will be bookmarking this site! Wonderful! And even the people who don't like pumpkin liked these muffins. I made minimuffins, and it made 70 :) That will get the kids through the week for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete