Looking for something to feed the kids? Need a great dessert to take to a gathering?
In the mood for a delicious soup, salad or whatever? Look no further.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chile Verde

Okay. So I LOVE pork loin roasts. They are yummy, cheap (we buy the huge ones at Sam's and divide them into 3-4 smaller roasts), easy and the possibilities are endless. And, since about half our meals end up being some form of pork loin, I decided to list a few of the regulars... sorry, if it's a bit much pork to swallow.

First up, chile verde (or my americanized version anyway).


Chile Verde

3-4 lb pork roast
1 lrg can (28 oz) green chile enchilada sauce
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 or 2 cans of green chiles (when I'm in a good mood, I like to roast, peel and chop my own)
1/2 - 1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
chicken boullion to taste (about 2 tsp)

To cook the roast you could just combine everything in a crock pot, add the roast and cook all day, but I prefer to cook the roast first without the other stuff, so that I can drain off all the fat drippings and gunk. I cook my roast in the crock pot on low with about a cup or two of beef broth, with some S&P and garlic powder on the roast, for 6-8 hrs. A couple of hours before eating, combine the rest of the ingredients in a med. sauce pan and simmer, so that the veggies are soft. About an hour before serving, shred the pork, return to crock pot, and add the sauce . Serve on tortillas with beans and rice, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, etc.

6 comments:

  1. I have had such a hankerin' for chile verde lately! Now I don't have to go to Salt Lake or Happy Valley to get some. Muchas Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds soooo good. Tell me a little more about this roasting your own chiles. How do you roast them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good. I am going to put these on my menu for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I just spray some anaheims with some pam, put them on a roasting pan and broil them until the skin is well blistered (with a lot of black, or the skin doesn't come off easy). Then I put them in a plastic bag while they are hot and put them in the fridge until they cool down enough to handle. Peel and chop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this for our Superbowl feast last night. It is definitely going on our list to make again and again and again. The boys fought me on it but were pleasantly surprised to find they loved it too. I halved it and will use the other half roast for the BBQ sandwiches. Thanks for the good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had this tonight, and it was so good. I love anything I can put in the crock pot! We will be adding this to our favorites.

    ReplyDelete