Looking for something to feed the kids? Need a great dessert to take to a gathering?
In the mood for a delicious soup, salad or whatever? Look no further.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

No Knead Bread

I've seen no-knead bread on a lot of blogs. I've tried two different recipes. They are slightly different, but have the same idea. Here are the links to both with a summary of the differences.

Sister's Cafe 5 Minute No-Knead Bread (this is the one I brought to playgroup)
  • Makes 4 small loaves
  • Uses lots of yeast--takes about 4 hours start to finish
  • Bake on a stone with a pan of water for the crust.
  • More mild flavor
  • I used 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and the rest white on the playgroup loaf.
NY Times/ Sullivan Street Bakery Bread (this is the one that seems to be the favorite in the blog world)
  • Makes 1 large loaf
  • Uses minimal yeast and takes 1-2 days to rise
  • Bakes in a dutch oven to generate steam and the crusty exterior.
  • Longer rise time gives the flavor more time to develop.
I haven't decided which I prefer. I do like that I don't have to plan so far in advance for the Sisters' Cafe version, but I kind of like the flavor of the other. You can be your own judge I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. I am very excited to try this... except I don't have a stone, so I might have to try the second recipe. Do you have any suggestions on where to find a reasonably priced stone? I would like one, but I've never shopped for one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my stone at Bed Bath and Beyond for $10. I don't know if there is a difference between a $10 stone and a more expensive one, but it seems to do the job. You could probably just use a heavy pan or a large cast iron skillet too.

    ReplyDelete