Looking for something to feed the kids? Need a great dessert to take to a gathering?
In the mood for a delicious soup, salad or whatever? Look no further.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Tutu's Orange Sherbet


This is the recipe my grandma, Tutu, made every year in June for my grandpa's birthday. Each June I start craving it. This sherbet is so good, that I would call it darn near perfect. It makes my mouth water just to type it! I am including two versions: one for a regular 5-6 quart ice cream freezer; the other for a counter-top mini freezer that I just bought and love.

Regular Version
3 cups sugar
2 quarts whole milk
3 lemons, juiced
6 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (approx. 15 medium oranges)
Orange food coloring

Combine the lemon and orange juices. Dissolve the sugar in the juices. Chill for 1 hour. Pour the juice into the milk (the other way around will cause the milk to curdle). Add food coloring. Freeze according to your freezer's directions. Invite some friends over or you WILL eat all of it.

Mini-version-makes about 1 quart
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups whole milk
3/4 of a lemon; juiced
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (4-5 medium oranges)

Follow above directions and then follow your freezer's directions. With the mini-version, don't invite friends over, or you won't get enough, or kick your family out and then invite the friends.

Do not even think about using store bought orange juice. Blech!


3 comments:

  1. This stuff is so yummy. I had wondered about the name. Thanks for posting the mini-version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What brand of ice cream maker did you buy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a Cuisinart. It is so fast and I don't have to get salt or ice. I'm really liking it.

    ReplyDelete