Looking for something to feed the kids? Need a great dessert to take to a gathering?
In the mood for a delicious soup, salad or whatever? Look no further.

Friday, August 26, 2011

(Cafe Rio-y) Creamy Tomatillo Cilantro Dressing

I've had a couple of requests for this recipe, so I figured it would be easier to just post it here.

Oh, how I love Cafe Rio, especially their salads. After trying, combining and tweaking, this is the closest thing to Cafe Rio dressing that I have found. It is delicious, and more than 20 girls and leaders at Girls' Camp agree.  If you're looking for some uber healthy dressing that will extend your life and make you able to complete a triathlon, keep looking.  But, if you are looking for absolute yumminess that spruces up even the dullest of salads, this is for you.  At camp we also discovered that it is a yummy dip for veggies and tortilla chips. 

1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (dry mix)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 bunch of cilantro with just the long stems removed
1/2 – 1 small jalapeno (remove seeds and membranes)
1 cup mayo
1 generous tsp. lime juice
2  tomatillos (remove outer papery skin)-the key ingredient in my opinion
1 garlic clove-minced

Blend all ingredients in blender. It tastes best if you make it ahead and let the flavors mix together, but if you're not a planner-like me sometimes-it also tastes great right out of the blender. This makes about 3 cups of dressing.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, the version I have been using has been missing something. Must be the tomatillos. I am anxious to try this.

    ReplyDelete