Looking for something to feed the kids? Need a great dessert to take to a gathering?
In the mood for a delicious soup, salad or whatever? Look no further.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Granola


I've had a couple of requests for this recipe, so I figured I'd add it to the blog. My family loves this granola, and it's actually the only cereal that graces our table, since I know what goes into it. I'm sure the calorie count is up there, but you can feel good about most of the ingredients (it just wouldn't be the same without a little sugar :).

Granola
6 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 c slivered almonds
3/4 c raw sunflower seeds
1 1/2 c unsweetened coconut
1/4 c flaxseed
1/2+ c coconut oil (yes, it's a little pricey, but the health benefits are well worth it... plus, the flavor is YUMMY)
3/4 c honey (I use raw... again, because of the health benefits)
1/4 c packed brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
dried fruit (optional)

In small pan, combine coconut oil, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt and heat on medium until oil is melts (this doesn't take long - don't overcook it). Combine oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, coconut, and flaxseed in large bowl. Slowly add the oil/sugar mixture and stir well until everything is evenly coated. Divide onto two baking sheets and spread out. Cook at 325 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir granola, rotate sheets in oven, then cook for another 10 minutes. Let cool, add dried fruit, break up and store in airtight container.

5 comments:

  1. I made it this morning. Yummy and all who tried it agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long can this be stored, Amy?

    I'm excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth - I'm not exactly sure. I usually do a double batch of it which lasts us a couple of weeks and it's still good. I'm not sure how much longer than that it would last - sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I am making this just now and I sneaked a taste. So good! Thanks so much for sharing!

    p.s. I substituted an equal amount of palm sugar for the brown sugar and it came out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.p.s. No need to find out how long it can be stored, as our family eats it way too fast to be worried. Ü

    ReplyDelete